Most often, online classes succeed or fail based on the person leading the class, according to Kevin Siegel.
After migrating his own course content to vILT delivery, Kevin developed a train-the-trainer program to teach how to train online, which led to the creation of the Certified Online Training Professional (COTP) program. The COTP program covers synchronous and asynchronous eLearning fundamentals, establishing instructor credibility, supporting learners in the virtual environment, and requires learners to demonstrate specific practical skills in online facilitation.
In this episode, we discuss what makes a great (and effective) online learning experience. Kevin Siegel speaks from his expertise as a Certified Technical Trainer, a Certified Master Trainer, and a Certified Online Training Professional, and his decades of experience as a technical communicator, a face-to-face and virtual trainer, e-learning developer, publisher, and keynote speaker.
Listen to the podcast here, and continue reading about this topic below.
In addition to the skills necessary to develop and lead effective online learning, there are a wide range of resources learning professionals can use for their ongoing professional development.
The directory below highlights publishers, classes, associations and other resources for the workplace learning professional.
Know of another resource we should add to this list? Use the form at the bottom of this page to suggest an addition.
Directory of L&D Resources
Professional Associations and Publications
- Chief Learning Officer
- eLearning Industry
- L&D Cares
- Learning and Performance Institute
- Learning Guild
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Strategic CHRO360
- Training Industry
- Training Magazine
Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) Certified Instructional Trainer
International Council for Certified Online Training Professionals (ICCOTP) Certified Online Training Professional (COTP)
ATD Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) and Certified Professional in Talent Development (CPTD)
Training Industry Certified Professional in Training Management (CPTM)
Instructional Design Courses and Certificates
These programs and courses are generally fee-based. Details of these offerings vary broadly. You may or may not receive a certificate or digital learning credential; some courses may also provide credits for use in third-party educational programs or credential verification. Be sure to clarify with the providing organization before you enroll to ensure you understand any and all associated credentials, fees and credits.
- Arizona State University – Instructional Design and Performance Improvement
- ATD – Instructional Design Certificate
- Avila University — Workplace Instructional Design
- Boston College – Applied Professional Certificates in Instructional Design
- Coursera Instructional Design MasterTrack Certificate, with content from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- The George Washington University – Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design
- Georgetown University – Certificate in Instructional Design
- Harvard University Extension School – Learning Design & Technology
- International Society for Educational Technology (ISFET) Instructional Design Models Certificate
- LinkedIn Learning – Become an L&D Professional
- Ohio University – Instructional Design Certificate
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Advanced Instructional Designer courses and badge
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Online Teaching Certificate
- Oregon State University – Instructional Design Certificate
- Penn State World Campus – e-Learning Design Certificate
- Texas A&M University Commerce – Instructional Design
- Udemy Instructional Design for E-Learning
- Udemy Instructional Design Pro
- University of California, Irvine – E-Learning Instructional Design Certificate
- University of Delaware – Instructional Design Certificate
- UW Stout – Instructional Design Certificate
Suggest an addition to this directory
If there is another class, certificate, certificate or other resource that workplace learning professionals will find useful, please send us the information using the form below so we can add it to this directory.